Friday, May 25, 2007

Two Lonely Travellers

Every morning I get up, brush my teeth, put on my clothes, kiss my boyfriend goodbye, and walk to the bus stop. Most of the time there's a woman there. With her daughter.

The first time I saw her I thought she was familiar. I stared, probably in a way that made her uncomfortable, but I couldn't pin why I recognized her.

My first day in Greece I walked off the plane and onto a bus that was to take me to the ferry port in Athens. I met a woman who was also flying in from Seattle. She used to live in Greece. She knew her way around. She was waiting for the same ferry. I was 19 and she was older. In her late 20's. She walked with confidence and spoke to shop clerks and cafe servers in Greek. Yasu. Te Kaneis? Thelo Nescafe. But all of this was unfamiliar then. We spent less than a day together. A lot of it on the ferry. She got off an island before me.

Today, for the first time, I asked her. Have you ever been to Greece? She nearly fell over. Nearly dropped her daughter. Yes. She said yes. Then she remembered me too.

No comments: