Monday, November 14, 2011

Sweet Potato Crisp

So I was on the bus and suddenly inspired. I have to say that I love bus travel for this exact reason. A lot of my best ideas have happened between two places. A lot of my favorite recipes I've designed out of thin air. Sweet Potato Crisp was one of these. It turned out delightful. Sweet, but not so sweet as a double-chocolate tort. And wonderful for the holiday season.

Candied Sweet Potatoes:

 

1/3 c butter, chilled, cubed

¼ c brown sugar

3-4 medium sweet potatoes, washed, chilled, cubed

 

Crisp:

½ c rolled oats

¼ c butter, chilled, cubed

¼ c brown sugar

¼ c crushed pecans

 

Preheat the oven to 375.  Place sweet potatoes in pie plate or casserole dish. Sprinkle with brown sugar and butter. Cook in oven for approximately 35 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are carmelized. While the sweet potatoes are cooking, combine the crisp ingredients in a bowl and fork together until evenly combined. When the sweet potatoes have candied, spread the crisp topping over the top and cook for approximately 10 more minutes or until the butter has melted and the oats have become golden and crisp.



I also suggest getting a thing of local whipping cream and whipping up some whipped cream. Don't add sugar, however. It's all the better without.

(Sorry for forgetting a picture. I'll add one later as I plan to make it again for Thanksgiving.)

No comments: