Thursday, January 21, 2010

And then there was the Real, Real

So break is officially over, and there is one day left in the first week of classes. This week has been fairly easy... for me. Though come Monday I anticipate a completely different energy to commence.

I'd like to say that my time in Boise has been productive, but it hasn't really. I haven't written a poem (barring some work on a tiny poem from paintings project... but does it really count when they are 3-5 lines, maybe 15 syllables all said and done?) in two months. Seriously.

And I only just last week started reading again. I guess that was sort of productive.

Books I've read include:

AR Ammons, GARBAGE
Sawaka Nakayasou, TEXTURE NOTES
GC Waldrep, ARCHICEMBALO
Rene Char trans. Gustaf Sobin, THE BRITTLE AGE and RETURNING UPLAND
Heather Christle, THE DIFFICULT FARM
John Godfrey, CITY OF CORNERS


...and I'm currently reading:

Stacy Doris, CONFERENCE


What's been especially lovely about this new reading period is that I've actually enjoyed every single book. I'd recommend any and all. Though, I'm most in love with Doris at the moment. Maybe because I'm reading her at the moment. Or maybe because, somehow, she manages to make language playful & purposeful & it does something. It moves me, even when she's at her strangest.

Two favorite moments, which are not wildly strange, but are incredible:

"In loving what I can't touch, I die."

&

"Because so much of existence is correspondence, I
wonder is flight a form of correspondence?"

***

It's probably good I've managed to get some reading done before the semester seriously commences as, once it does, I imagine my "reading for me" time will come to a close. Hopefully I can get this last book finished before I have to give up the goods.


Because, along with school, I have SLOPE-- which is coming along. I have received some wonderful things. I continue to pester others to send work. Life continues to go on. The sun shines today, with promises of rain on the weather channels. Sushi tonight. And a free show. And then time on the sofa with a cat & a book.

No comments: